Re: autox to track event

To: JimZ <jzalesny@ix.netcom.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: autox to track event
From: rikracer <rikracer@cwix.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 15:31:04 -0800

Don't know how long you have been autocrossing, but I autoxed for 20 years
before trying a road course (Solo I).  I was definitely intimidated at
first. It is one thing to drive at the limit (and sometimes exceed it) on an
autox course and another to do it where over the limit can mean going off
course.  I share a car, and my co-driver has a few years more experience on
road courses.  I was 4-5 seconds behind him most of the time, despite being
able to virtually always beat him in the same car on an autox course.  It
took several events to get comfortable driving close to the limit, despite
very safe tracks with lots of runoff room, and the fact I was very familiar
with how the car feels at the limit and being on the exact same course.  You
shouldn't  expect to be as fast as experienced road racers right off the
bat. 2 1/2 yrs later he still beats me most of the time, but by very little
now.  Just like anything else, it takes practice, practice, practice.  We
also have a camera in the car and I learned a lot from watching my partner's
runs vs mine.  It does take a bit different mind set to race with other cars
and potential off course excursions. It would be hard for me to imagine
going out on a race course for the first time without my autox background.

Rick Brown
GT2/AP 240Z