Re: Lotii in ALL classes (was DM & E Mod Weights)

To: George Ryan <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Subject: Re: Lotii in ALL classes (was DM & E Mod Weights)
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 08:56:36 -0800
George Ryan wrote:

> The Lotii are a sweet breed, and win in every class they
> are in, almost exclusively.

Uhh, lessee here:

1. Super Stock - Lotus Esprit Turbo. Ever seen one a'them win?
2. AS - Elan, Esprit, Europa Twin Cam, Europa Renault. Hmmm, can't
remember AS being dominated by a Lotus.
3. CS - 7, 7A, Eclat, Elan +2, Elite (original), Elite ('70s one). We
all know what a threat those cars are, right? Be afraid. Be very afraid.
4. ES - Lotus Cortina. That's a real dominant one, too.
5. ASP - Last won by a female driving an RX-7tt. Sure enough, the Elans
are always a threat to win, but non-Lotus cars can and do win this class
with regularity.
6. AP - I think this is the class you mean by "every."
7. Mod classes. Given that you can do almost anything to a car in Mod,
what you start with has a LOT less to do with winning than what you DO
to the car.

> I hope that statement does not
> stir a furor, but let's face it. If you buy a Lotii, be it SP, P, or
> Mod - - you have a much higher pertantile chance of walking
> away with a trophy, be it at the regional, divisional, National
> Tour, or Nationals level. One almost instantly improves as a
> driver behind the wheel of a Lotii, it seems.

Have you ever actually DRIVEN a Lotus in Solo II?

> But also have a higher winning percentile because the SCCA
> seems to class them, and rule for them more favorably.

Lesse here. My Lotus Europa has 1565cc, makes 82 hp stock, and it's in
ASP. Exactly how is that "favorable" classing?

> Now
> that statement WILL cause a furor, but so be it.

No furor here. The statement is incorrect, but I'm not mad that you made
it.

<snip A Prepared stuff>
> And then there is the Lotii, 1400 (oh, let's see, they added 50 lbs
> this year - no advantages now - - HAHH!!) in that foray.

It may well be that AP is unfairly biased towards Lotuses. I can't say,
since I don't run there. Since Prepared uses the archaic Production
practice of "competition adjustments" to rim sizes, minimum weights, and
venturi sizes to fine-tune the classes, I suggest you ask the SEB to
reduce your minimum weight. That would be the quickest way to achieve
some kind of parity.

>If you look
> simply at HP to weight ratio, there is quite an advantage there.

If HP to weight were the definitive factor, LOTS of cars would be
competitive that aren't.

> In EM, sure Tamandli is winning. A tube frame Formula Atlantic
> chassis, a lightweight Rover V8, and a rubber and 'glass body
> by Fiero. It is competitive against Lotii (and Lotii cloned)  V8
> powered cars simply because his body weight, and hp to weight
> ratio is similar. But to call it a Fiero - - that's quite a stretch.

Calling Chris O'Donnell's car a "Lotus" requires an equal stretch. What
is Mod supposed to be, if not a relatively free Category?

> In my own case, give me back FP with the Mazda and Nissan/
> Datsun cars. Let the high HP and limited production cars (Tiger,
> Vixen, Cobra, and YES - - the Lotii fall into that catagory) have
> their own AP back.

And, exactly how many Fieros did GM make with Quad Four engines? In what
way do production numbers have ANY impact on Prepared or Mod fairness?

It appears that maybe AP needs some tweaking, but that's how Prepared
works. Have you raised these issues with the SEB?

Jay