autox-cm

Re: Van Diemen floorpan question

To: emotepix@anet.net,autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Van Diemen floorpan question
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:14:21 -0500
According to all the best wisdom on the old Formula Ford Underground
and on Apex Speed:

Floor pans need to be bonded with high strength epoxy glue (after
appropriate surface prep) and then welded with high grade counter sunk rivets.

I thought the road racers were still using aluminum . . .

In any case, the bonded/riveted floor pan is supposed to be critical
to good chassis stiffness.

FYI, my 85 VD FF1600 came with a bonded (I think) and riveted steel
pan which I replaced with a bonded and riveted aluminum pan. Saved
about 15 lbs as I recall and since the car is still overweight the
weight savings seems worthwhile. The pan install was done in early
1992. I have no idea if it is still bonded.

Dick
CM 85
Van Diemen RF85

At 05:38 PM 12/27/2007, emotepix@anet.net wrote:
>Hi All!
>Happy Holidays!
>
>One of my best friends, San Diego based David Pease is
>starting a frame up on a Van Diemen RF86 FF2000 to
>FF1600 conversion for C Mod competition this year, and
>would love some input.
>
>Here's the situation:
>
>he knows that most people who are road racing the VDs
>have replaced the alu floorpans with steel because of
>bottom intrusion whilst airborne.
>
>Obviously in C Mod that won't be the case.
>However, since he has the old floorpan off anyway,
>here's the question:
>
>GCR allows for a the floorpan to be stress bearing.
>(Actually GCR requires it so).
>
>However, there's a big difference between simply
>replacing the rivet set on an aluminum floorpan, and
>bonding/welding an 18ga steel floorpan in its stead.
>
>The difference would be in the stiffness of the
>chassis, resulting in a much different handling of the
>car. Theoretically.
>
>Now, a precision welding job for a new steel floorpan
>would be an expensive proposition. Even an alu floorpan
>welded or bonded to the frame would be quite a big deal
>to keep everything lined up and absolutely straight.
>
>So - worth the extra effort?
>
>What would the relative benefits and liabilities be, in
>the actual handling of the car?
>
>This is a VD 86, i.e. a Swift DB1 knock-off, with the
>suspension arms, push rods, etc.
>
>Our local (west coast, San Diego area) C Mod experts
>seem to be deadlocked, with opinions spread pretty much
>equally for and against.
>
>Your thoughts, gentlemen?
>
>Thank you!
>Cheers