autox-cm

Re: Muffler Question

To: samandgreg@netins.net
Subject: Re: Muffler Question
From: Tyson Sawyer <tyson@j3.org>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 15:27:16 -0400
I'd suggest making sure you have something that will kill the noise
without regard for what it may do to your HP.  That way at least you get
to play.  If they allow a strike-out or two on the noise meter, then you
might also bring along something else that might pass the noise test,
but provide better performance.

The only thing more frustrated than a competitor who didn't bring enough
muffler is having to deal with competitors who didn't bring enough
muffler.  They tend to put as little as possible on and hope its good
enough.  Then they get upset when it isn't.  A far better strategy is to
put as much muffler on as you can and then back down if you can.

I'd suggest getting something that isn't a straight through.  However,
Jerry Shields has one of Bill Goodale's old AM classed Tui Super-V's.
Its the one that I drove in '02.  He has VW type motor and a very large
SuperTrapp on it with the plates installed and it passes the noise
limits we have.

Most of the FFs are very close to passing the Ayer, MA sound
restrictions as they are.  Generally, all that is needed is a small
SuperTrapp or even just a SuperTrapp end.  Our '85 Reynard has the Swift
style exhaust straight back above the motor.  Its louder than most where
the exhaust is tucked in underneath everything.  A minimal SuperTrapp
didn't do it.  A large SuperTrapp seemed to do job, but this year I've
got a full sized FlowMaster for when I need to be quiet. ;-)

Cheers!
Ty

--
Tyson D Sawyer
    46CM '85 Reynard 85F  "The Red Headed Stepchild"

"A well-schooled electorate, being necessary to the security
of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read Books,
shall not be infringed."

-- J. Neil Schulman, http://www.2asisters.org/unabridged.htm