autox-cm

Re: GCR FF2000 in C+ Mod (or B- Mod?)

To: "Pruett, Christopher (CK)" <CKPruett@dow.com>,
Subject: Re: GCR FF2000 in C+ Mod (or B- Mod?)
From: "Josh Sirota" <josh@sirota.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:16:45 -0800
Chris Pruett wrote:
> Maybe a better solution is for this unknown group to ask the SEB/MAC for
"supplemental" class status for
> the GCR FF2000. This class (C+ Mod or B- Mod?) could run in conjunction
with BM class being awarded
> separated trophies. I agree that this sounds too much like "I" Mod, but
until given a fair chance (a full year?),
> it's hard to say what kind of numbers this class would generate. More than
anything, number of entries in this
> supplement class would determine its long term fate.

Chris,

As I said in the past, if I decided to get back into the formula car
classes, AND there was a competitive place for an FF2000 to play, then it
would be my pick of equipment.  Lack of an FF2000 class wouldn't deter me
from re-entering the formula car ranks though, and I doubt others who don't
already have a car would disagree.

So while in principal I don't disagree with an approach like this, I don't
think it's that hard to say what kind of numbers it would generate -- the
numbers would be very small.  Why?  Because people aren't going to buy an
FF2000 after this supplemental class is announced -- the only people who
would compete in it are the few who already have the cars, and that isn't
very many, since it isn't competitive right now.

Yes, you might find a few existing modified drivers switch into FF2000, but
not many (there aren't many to take from, after all).

I really believe that if a non-modified driver wants to move into formula
cars, he's not holding back due to the lack of an FF2000 class.  He'd just
pick something that IS already competitive.  Is there some evidence to the
contrary?

Josh