autox-cm

Ignition

To: Eric Jones <edj@austin.ibm.com>, autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 20:12:50 -0400
At 10:39 AM 4/9/02, Eric Jones wrote:

>My car developed a backfire under load and I think I've traced
>it to bad points. I guess I need to investigate the electronic
>ignition replacement. More $$$ down the hole.

Eric,

Thanks for the report. Too bad Texas is so far from NC (or, to put it a
different way, too bad NC is so far from any place that there are lots of
CM autocrossers)!

In regard to the ignition problem:

If the points are good: (or if they aren't just jumper across them so that
you can test the rest of the circuit.

If you have not done so already, do a "points resistance" voltage drop test
on every part of the primary ignition circuit from the battery to the coil
and the coil to battery ground through the points. Be sure to "wiggle" all
splices, etc. A typical automotive type multi tester should have the
appropriate scale. Typical for my car (after fixing any bad connections),
is around 0.1 to 0.2 volts drop between major portions of the circuit.

Don't neglect the ground side of the circuit. The electrons have "get back
into the battery"!

I bought the Pertronix system but didn't install it. Too concerned that if
the ignition is accidently on for a while causing current to flow (done
that) that I'll fry the module. With points there is no damage assuming I
catch it before frying the coil. I'd hate to fry a module just to save
having to change points every two or three seasons.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford