autox-cm

Re: High-pressure radiator caps

To: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>, C Modified <autox-cm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: High-pressure radiator caps
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 19:48:22 -0500
At 12:19 PM 12/3/01 -0500, Mark Sirota wrote:
>Is anyone running a high pressure radiator cap?  I've been running the
>standard 13 PSI cap forever, and I'm thinking that maybe I should go
>higher to avoid boil-over.  I run distilled water with Water Wetter for
>coolant.
>
>Please advise.  I'm a suspension guy, not a motor guy!
>
>Mark

Mark,

I run a 13 PSI cap with a 1 QT water catch bottle (originally an oil
bottle). Also run a 180 F thermostat. The cap does allow minor amounts of
boil-over to return to the system when it cools. Since the overflow hose is
close to a header pipe, it is wrapped with heat shield material and the
plastic bottle is mounted nice and low away from the header.

I use a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze (and there may be some water
wetter in there also). I run antifreeze since my detached garage may
actually get below freezing and I've actually had the car on the open
trailer in below freezing weather. This way I only have to worry about what
freezing might do to the race tires.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford