autox-cm

Painting Fiberglass(The Real Story)

To: Autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Painting Fiberglass(The Real Story)
From: Hottvr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:39:13 EDT
Well I made great strides today on painting the (Fiberglass from HELL). I
went to the paint store and explained the problem. The guy there told me to
wet sand and feather
the existing paint a primer. He told me to use alcohol(70%) mixed with
water(30%)
to clean the surface before applying primer. He said that the water was to
retard the
evaporation of the alcohol. He them told me to get some really cheat gray
primer
down at Autozone. I wiped the areas down with the water and alcohol mix
several times. Then sprayed the areas with the primer. The trick is to put it
on really dry
so it has the texture of 80 grit sandpaper when applied. I put on several
light dry
coats before sanding lightly with 320 grit paper and water. The bubbling
stopped.
I'm going to let it set until morning and try to fix a couple of small
pinholes before painting. Theres only one problem now!!!! It looks like it
gonna start raining tonight.
This alcohol trick really worked.

Mike(It may be unorthodox but it worked)B. 99cm

///
///  autox-cm@autox.team.net mailing list
///