Consumer Alert

To: "Vintage Race Net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Consumer Alert
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 12:51:38 -0700
I am overhauling a series 5 Sunbeam Alpine engine for a friend. In preparing
the head, my machine shop (Superior Machine, Sparks, NV) ordered new intake
and exhaust valves from Victoria British. The valves arrived Thursday, June
29.

V.B. had packaged used intake valves in new packages, billed and shipped them
as such. When my machinist called them they offered no explaination other than
to ship another set of intake valves. He requested next day air. V.B. agreed
and said the valves would be shipped on Friday, June 30. Well, it's Monday,
July 3, and guess what: no valves!

My recommendation to all of you, if forced to purchase from V.B., would be to
check your order carefully and not accept anything that is less quality than
you expect and pay for. When my machinist told me what happened I personally
inspected the valves and confirmed what he had told me. The valve heads had
been ground and the stems unquestionably showed signs of wear consistent with
their replacement.
    Carl

CarLynne Racing LLC
Sparks, NV