No More Axle Problems

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: No More Axle Problems
From: Eric <ejmwdesign@covad.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 21:18:37 -0700
So this is what I did and it was SOOOOO easy.

I borrowed my friends hub puller.  It's heavy duty number that has
three ( but I only used two ) arms that bolt to the hub via the wheel
studs.  It has a 1" dia. threaded "bolt" that screws down to the axle
and pushes down while the arms pull the hub away from the axle.  I know
I know they all work that way but here's the difference: On the hex
head of the "Bolt" you put a dog bone shaped spinner on and when you've
dialed it down tight by hand you wack it a few times with a heavy
hammer.
The first few times nothing so I heated it up with a MAPP torch and
then wacked it again and off it popped.  Stopping smartly a the point
at which I had wrapped the threads of the axle with a piece of bailing
wire to keep it from flying across my garage.

I'll try to get a picture of the hub puller and dog bone and post it
some where.  From what I was told what happens when you dial the bolt
down on a hub puller with a wrench it bows the hub on the axle pinching
it an making it harder to get off.
The bone and hammer worked like a charm.

Thanks again to all for the tips etc.  I hope to see you all on the
SoCalTT.

Alas I have to work on Monday so I'll only be doing the Sunday portion
of the drive.

Anyone want to join me???

Thanks

Eric