Re: Series 5 transmission/clutch tech advice requested

To: "Ed Howard" <edsonh2000@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Series 5 transmission/clutch tech advice requested
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:51:19 -0700
The hyd fluid sounds like the most obvious ailment as previously stated.

1 Look for fluid draining down the firewall inside the car behind your
clutch pedal.
2. Check for the movement of the actuating rod from the slave cylinder
3. Really #1, check the fluid level.
4. Broken clutch/worn clutch, but this is normally associated with clutch
slippage.

If it wasn't these, I think that your throwout bearing might be bad. And the
last grand kahuna prize is: But don't panic because this is the absolute
last case, the thrust washers in the block are shot allowing the crank to
move forward beyond the throw of the bearing fork, and the cold engine oil
at startup isn't easily squeezed out so the clutch works. Once it heats up,
it is easily squeezed out beyond tolerance. This is easily checked by
pushing the timing pulley and pulling it fore and aft. Max movement should
be about 3 thou, so if you can see noticeable movement, they are bad. But I
bet the hyd system is at fault.