New Book - "Remembering Rootes"

To: Alpine List <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Book - "Remembering Rootes"
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:27:26 -0300
Hi,

I recently received a new soft covered book published by a STAO list
subscriber, Peter Shimmell (Mercian Manuals), called "Remembering Rootes".

If you were a new Rootes product owner in the 1950's and early sixties, you
will recall that Rootes had a monthly magazine called "Modern Motoring and
Travel" and this new book is a wonderful compilation of these magazines
(the book is about an inch thick!), with pictures and events of this period
along with fascinating advertisements for the automotive products available
at that time. It is a wonderful addition to anyones library collection of
automotive literature and will provide hours of entertaining reading.

If you are interested in a copy, please contact Peter Shimmell directly at
mercman@lineone.net or visit their web site at
<http://www.mercianmanuals.co.uk>www.mercianmanuals.co.uk.  He is selling
them for #19.95 or US$34.90 and well worth the price. I am just a happy
customer and have no financial interest in this publication.

I had the saloon out last week for the first time since its gearbox
transplant and it was very successful. The only hiccup was that both in and
out positions of the gear selector lever (4 on the tree!) produced first
gear and second with no 3rd and 4th. A minor adjustment of the cable at the
shifting lever corrected this problem.

Regards,
Bob

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
Sunbeam Talbots - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon, 1953-1954
Sunbeam Talbot Web Page: www.sunbeamtalbot.info
Visit the British Automobile Touring Association of
Nova Scotia web site at www.batans.ca
[Stable mates - 1973 Midget and 1968 M-B 280SE]
E-Mail: hamilton@accesswave.ca or robertach@ca.inter.net