Re: Painting the Underbody

To: Mike Hooper <mike.hooper@panavision.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Painting the Underbody
From: jumpinjan <jservaites@woh.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:34:04 -0800
Mike Hooper wrote:
> How about Metal Ready: This is not so much paint as a phospherus based acid,
> designed to get rid of rust, but it then supposedly deposits a layer of zinc

Zinc? I seriously doubt it. I have never heard that before. Phosphoric
acid based metal conditioners are to clean & etch the metal so that the
paint has some tooth to stick on better. If there is any coating, it's
probably a very thin iron oxide coating. A treated steel surface makes
MIG welding easier and better welds too. Phosphoric Acid is primarily a
cleaning solution for metals. It also works on nonferrous metals to
include aluminum & brass as well as steel
I have heard that the other metal cleaners are watered down derivatives.

--

Jan Servaites (Dayton OH - The Birthplace of Aviation)

              http://www.wright-brothers.org/

              "I am convinced that human flight is
              possible and practical."
                             -- Wilbur Wright, 1899