Re: Oil Seal

To: alpines@autox.team.net, hillman@can-inc.com
Subject: Re: Oil Seal
From: RootesRooter@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 13:46:42 EDT
In a message dated 10/4/03 7:33:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jan.eyerman@usa.net writes:

<< I seem to remember talking to someone who owned an Alpine about these and I
 though he mentioned someone who made them already.  As a by the way... I have
 never had problems with oil coming out of the nose of the crank shaft on the
 older cars, only the newer cars with "PCV's".  Anyone else have that
 experience?

 Jan >>

Didn't Rootes change the timing cover design about the same time as the PCV?
The older covers have a thick curled lip to the inside opening around the
crankshaft - I think to keep oil from draining directly onto the crank.  The
later cover's cylindrical opening is 'flat' around the crank, and looks (to me,
at
least) more likely to allow oil to drain directly onto the crank. Even with
the corkscrew cut into the crank to direct the oil back in, I could imagine
more seeping out with the new cover.