Re: Snapped lug bolt...Success...Thanx...

To: prbreuhan@hotmail.com, alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Snapped lug bolt...Success...Thanx...
From: JACranwell@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 04:12:50 EDT
Paul,

The trouble with those rear hubs is that the hub gets 'welded' to the shaft
over time.

I've found the best method is to dismantle the whole brake assembly, oils
seal housing, backing plate etc, which allows the whole assembly, including
half-shaft to be removed with the hub still attached. You can then use a
hydraulic
bench press to push the shaft out of the axle. It does need careful
positioning of spacers to get around all the bits to hold just the hub.

I've had to go to 5 tonnes of pressure to get off one particularly stubborn
hub, so there is absolutely no chance any puller could have got it off. If you
use this method, do keep the nut loosened but still on the end of the shaft,
as the shaft would otherwise shoot down like an exocet missile through the
bench and shop floor. As it is, there is an almighty crack, when it does let go.

Good luck with the brake upgrade.

Julian.