No Hot...No Mo...

To: alpines@autox.team.net (Alpine List)
Subject: No Hot...No Mo...
From: rtaylor456@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:55:31 +0000
First of all, I want to thank everyone who offered assistance and information
concerning the recent overheating problem of my  '66 SV.  I've been meaning to
post results on the progress, so here goesjust in time for cooler weather.

I received many good ideas - these are the ones I tried - and the results.

1. Got rid of the electric fan altogether.  I do believe that it blocked air at
higher speeds - that's when most of the overheating problems began.

2. After searching everywhere for a 6 blade ridged plastic fan - and I mean
EVERYWHERE - went down to my local performance shop and bought a semi-ridged 14"
 - 6 blade "high-performance" composite plastic fan for a Chevy (etc).  The
primary hole was too small, of course.  I considered drilling it out, but as I
clumsily attempted to see how big a hole to drill, I discovered that it fit
exactly on the "little nub thang" that protrudes forward-most of the pulley.
So, I simply put 2 washers (#8 steel) between the blade and the pulley on each
bolt, in order to bring it flush.  I also purchased (needed to) longer bolts for
the fan (1 1/4 inch). THIS THING BLOWS HARD. You feel the air rushing by in the
passenger compartment. I can achieve the wind-blown look just sittin' in the
driveway at 4-5K R's.

3. Added a pint of "water wetter"

4. Timing adjusted again.

I recently had the radiator refurbished, so I didn't do anything to it. Then, I
put the whole thing back together and prayed out loud.

Well, the car cooled just fine. I've been happy since. So, it had to be the
result of one (or combination) of the above.

Once again, Thanks for everything.

Rob

P.S. This Alpine is going on ebay soon - next week. Sadly, after 11 years, it
must go.  Think I'm gonna miss the list more than the car. My wife asks why
there can't be such a list for all things in the world - that, would be great.