Re: off topic-98 5.0 exploder

To: TLKSRHOME@aol.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: off topic-98 5.0 exploder
From: Keith Johnson <keiths55@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:09:34 +1000
This is an easy one :-) (perhaps)

Check for hoses fallen off the intake manifold area  or loose intake
manifold bolts.
You are sucking in extra air. You don't mention poor performance otherwise.
The compewter tries to correct the mixture but can't make it up.
To much air = lean mixture = burned valves if it goes on too long.
It affect idle as the throttle is closed so a small leak has a large effect,
at higher throttle openings the effects of an air leak are less noticeable.
The pop is the engine management trying to get the mixture right.

If all hoses are tight and in place check the crankcase ventilation valve it
could be stuck
Like yourself I prefer the non electronic engines :-))

Keith
55 Californian
57 Rapier