Re: Off Topic "Nat'l Do Not Call"

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Off Topic "Nat'l Do Not Call"
From: robert.m.bailey@att.net
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:01:18 +0000
I am an Alpine owner and a programmer working for the Louisiana Public Service
Commission.  I am the tech support for the Louisiana Do Not Call Program.  I
heartily recommend that all of you sign up for the Federal Do Not Call
Program.  Be patient!  The Feds put this program together very quickly and God
only knows what glitches they will find. I would give them a day or two after
signing up and then go check to see it shows you are registered.  It may take
that long for your data to make the database.

When you do register, also go to this page
http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall/statelist.html and see if your state also has a
DNC program.  Register with that one too.  The rules governing the State and
Federal DNC programs vary.  Some of the State programs are stronger than the
Federal program. I wish the Federal program luck, but I want to see how they
will enforce this program at a national level.  I suspect they will eventually
force the states to help them.  We had hoped the Feds would simply take it off
our hands but they didn't.  Besides, our State politicians hated giving up a
program that smacks of "Good Government" One State Senator tried to create
a "Do Not SPAM Program".  It is an election year.  I would love it, but I just
can't see how you could stop SPAM.  The best you can do is slow it down some.

DNC has been working well in Louisiana.  We are small and we really haven't
burned up the air-waves to advertise.  356,000 consumers have signed up so far
in Louisiana for the State program in 18 months and I can tell you it has
dramatically helped.

Robert Bailey

P.S.  I literally just spoke with our Program Manager for the La. DNC.  She
just told me that all states will be required to accept all numbers registered
at the Federal level.  Still register with both to be sure.