Re: Pressurizing Oil system

To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pressurizing Oil system
From: "Alkon" <alkon@bigpond.com.au>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 13:21:41 +1000
Hi Bill

Haven't tried this trick on the Rootesmobile but race engine builders pull
the distributor and poke a suitable drive that looks like the end of the
dist without the gear down the hole. Spin it with electric drill to turn oil
pump and instant pre lube everywhere. Just make sure you turn it all in the
same direction the distributor turns.
If you dont want to pull the distributor then another easy way is to pull
off the connection for the oil pressue gauge and attach about a metre length
of copper tube to the fitting. Point the tube upwards and attach a container
to it that allows you to fill it with engine oil.. The head of 1 metre will
pressurise the whole oil system and oil will slowly reach every part of the
engine filling the oil filter and oil galleries if you leave it for a while
the oil will slowly pass from the container into the sump. After  some has
found its way through turn the engine over slowly by hand to encourage
further distribution. When it has all found its way into the sump replace
oil pressure line and start your engine.
This trick does not get oil on the little ends as they are splash fed or
help the rings. A squirt of light oil (sewing machine style ) down each
spark plug hole a few days before starting it all helps here. Be prepared
for a little smoke on start up that should clear as the engine comes up to
temperature.

I have not worried about this proceedure myself as I always heavilly prelube
new engines. With older engines I use the squirt down the plug holes and
hand crank them with plugs removed to fill the oil ways. Then start it up.
Only previously unused bearings will have no residual oil (new engine so I
prelube them on assembly :-)) so I have had no ill effects from doing things
this way.

Keith
55 Californian