Re: [Re: other Rootes cars with Alpine subframe?]

To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Re: other Rootes cars with Alpine subframe?]
From: "Alkon" <alkon@bigpond.com.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:03:16 +1000
Asked this question on the Hillman list.
It appears that the series 5/6 Minx front uprights have the axle 5/8" higher
than the Alpine part. This equals 5/8" lower ride with same springs used.
I would suspect that the upright could be swapped using the stock wishbones.
Front crossmembers swap easilly between different year Minx. Swapped a later
Super minx crossmember (ball joints and discs) for the king pin unit in a 57
Minx.
The steering tie rod ends were different but just used the ends from the
Super minx (65) on the original steering components from the 57.. Alpine
steering boxes and track rod arrangements are different to the Minx range to
allow for the different driving position and the engine being mounted about
4" further back.
The original query on this topic was on swapping the entire front end from a
Minx to the Alpine. My thoughts are use the existing crossmember and
wishbones with the original uprights or substitutes from the series 5/6
Minx. If you are doing this much work you would want to replace all the
bushings and ball joints anyway, as well as fitting new wheel bearings and
reconditioned or new disc rotors. Having done it all right the first time
you will not need to touch it again. Patching poor original repair work is
soul destroying besides this a loose front end takes away your driving
pleasure :-))

Keith Johnson
55 Californian