Re: Remote diagnosis of brake light problem

To: Paul Heuer <pheuer@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Remote diagnosis of brake light problem
From: Jeff Howarth <jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:17:52 +0000
Hi Paul,

it sounds more likely that you have a problem with the brakes hanging on
than a faulty switch.

Does the pedal return all the way up on its own?

Also a rebuilt servo can often hang on as either the new seal around the
piston grabs the can or the air valves don't seat properly.

If you start the car and press the brake pedal, brings the lights on,
let go the pedal and see if the stay on. If they do, see if you can push
the car (hand brake off obviously). If not the brakes are grabbing.

Cause is most likely the servo but also sometimes if the piston spring
is weak or the wrong kit is used for the master cylinder it can stop all
the fluid returning - this one has been covered several times before.

regards

Jeff

In message <FDC9BEF0-1563-11D7-8E3F-0003931D8A98@earthlink.net>, Paul
Heuer <pheuer@earthlink.net> writes