Re: Early Alpine ('53-55) Shifting

To: jan.eyerman@usa.net, RootesRooter@aol.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Early Alpine ('53-55) Shifting
From: "Kevin McLemore" <kmclemore@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:10:38 -0500
Ha.. yes my 1949 Triumph Renown has a similar 'highly accurate' column
shifter... must have been made by the same bunch of back-garden engineers!
(...or perhaps, dare I say... Lucas? ;o)

I've found that by paying *very* careful attention to all the rubber
insulating joints that it can be made into a moderately tolerable
mechanisim, but even then it's very much 'shift and pray', with each shift
being taken at a leisurely but quite deliberate pace.   How the heck did
they ever sell these things off the showroom floor - they can't have been
any better when new!

-Kevin McLemore