Loose Differntial Ring Bolts

To: alpines@autox.team.net, dablue@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Loose Differntial Ring Bolts
From: "barbara laifman" <barbaralaifman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 08:25:41 -0800
Bill writes:

"Jay, my rear end is late 1942 original equipment.  Unmodified, but somewhat
spreadout from continual use.
How many miles are on your Series V differential?  When I took mine apart
(speedo broke at 67,000 miles) every bolt was removeable by finger.  I would
think you might have the only one that has held together like it was
supposed to.  Hate to ask a stupid question after making the smart ass quip,
but what is self adjusting on your unit?  Brakes??  If so, that's how mine
is equiped."

I don't know how many miles were on this rear end when I got it.  But,
combined from what it came off of and the miles I've on it, it is well over
67,000.  Yes, by self adjusting, I meant the brakes.  It is my recollection
that this was only used for a short period for early Series V's.

On my rear end, the lock washers were firmly bent over one flat of each
bolt, and then firmly bent the other direction over the edge of the ring.
Those bolts had gone nowhere and were going nowhere.  I even tried with a
wrench on some of them.  No movement.

So, since everything appeared fine, and that it stayed that way for 40
years, I saw no reason to muck it up.  As my dad says "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it."

Jay