Re: What about fraudulent TAC cars?

To: msmall@infi.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What about fraudulent TAC cars?
From: VILIO@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:00:28 EST
Just to kicjk up a little dust, I must confess my somewhat perverse pleasure
in using a rusty, Michigan Tiger for a parts car for a Series V that I
brought home from Huntington Beach , Ca in 1985.  After taking just just
about anything of value from the Tiger and swapping the broken or tattered
bits from the Alpine, I drove that car for many miles.  I sold the Tiger at a
swap meet to another fellow who cosmetically restored it but didnt pay any
attention to the seroiusly rusted underbocy and frame and then advertised it
for sale.  This was about four years later.  Unknowingly i called and went to
see the car, which was attractively priced and looked nice until you climbed
below to see the most dangerous condition of the frame.  He argued a bit and
I went on my way.

The SV alas, lost a set of piston rings on # 1 and as it was my daily driver
and I needed wheels, I sold it to another chap who promptly dropped a Fiat
DOHC 2 liter and five speed in it.  I believe it still resides in the Detroit
area.

Moral of the story, it goes both ways.  Enjoy em and drive em.  Had an
aquaintance that used to  show up at a meet in Maryland after Glidden tours
with a 30's Pierce Arrow Touring car slathered in mud, grinning from ear to
ear.    He's still the epitome of what this hobby means to me.

Rich Childs