OD wiring help

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: OD wiring help
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 06:18:01 -0700
Has anyone developed a troubleshooting guide to get the electrical part of
an overdrive working? I have installed the O/D unit, only to be disappointed
in not having it work the first time I engaged it! Talk about
disappointment. The first thing I found is that the wire that goes from the
fuse to the relay has been severed by the DPO. Fixed that. still no dice. I
finally ran a hot wire down to the OD from the fuse and the solonoid works.
I have also determined that the switch on the steering column is bad using a
multimeter. I have shot all the wires and they have continuity, but not
having a meger, I can't tell if they are not permitting enough electrons to
flow. Lastly, the switch on the transmission, is it supposed to be on the
right or left hand side of the trans cover? and when should it make or break
continuity? If I can check it with an Ohmmeter, should it make continutity
when the lever goes from 2nd to 3rd gear, or should it break continutiy when
it goes from 3rd to 2nd gear? Is this just an instantaneous continuity or
should it be continual while it is in 3rd or 4th gear? Anyone that has ever
installed these in a car from scratch and has some info would really be
appreciated! If someone has a step by step guide, that is really what I
would love to read. Lou