Re: British weight measures

To: Jerome Yuzyk <jerome@supernet.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: British weight measures
From: Victor Hughes <hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:40:38 +1100
'Cwt' is the abbreviation for 'hundredweight', which equals 112 pounds
(abbreviation = lbs).  qr is the abbrevaiation for 'quarter' which means 1/4
of a hundredweight which equals 28 lbs.  Don't ask why they say 2 quarters
rather than a half - a 'half' is a beer measurement.     Incidentally,  one
half of a qr is a stone (st = 14 lbs) which is how the english quote their
personal weight eg 'I weigh 8 stone'  (not 112 pounds as our American cousins
would say).  So 26 cwt 2 qr equals  26 by 112 lbs plus  2 by 28 lbs.  All
weights Imperial

Are you confused enough yet?

Vic, from Australia where we had these measurements until converting to
metric in the 1970's

S3 Alpine, originally registered as 20 cwt