humber

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: humber
From: "Greg Locke" <glocke@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:41:16 +1300
Hi guys

I haven't talked on the list much lately as I've been here and there etc.
During my heres have been frantically preparing my Humber for a 250km speed
rally here in NZ in a fortnights time. Info can be viewed at www.targa.co.nz
if anyone is interested. There is a lot of classic motorsport info on the
site. I am competing in the Targa Bambina on March 24th.

Anyway.. I have a couple of questions that have been rallied around on the
list endlessly, and that I am going to ask YET again (sorry guys) but they
are those things that I can never remember yay or neigh.

1
I notice that someitimes my oil pressure goes very high (60 - 70lb) even
when hot, but then may suddenly back off to 45 after a few 6000rpm blips...
I realise this is an oil pressure relief valve sticking? (but not the usual
terminal way) What is the best pressure valve to fit... are these on the
later or earlier cars?

2
I run a standard full synchro alpine box with GTX 20/50 engine oil. I am
pretty hard on it and it is starting to get a bit snatchy and noisy when
hot. No bearing whine though. I did previously use an EP80/90 oil with no
problems, but after hearing all the stuff on the list went back to engine
oil. Sychros seem fine. The event involves 25km high speed hill climb type
work... using mostly 3rd and 4th gear. In this case would something other
than engine oil be more suitable. Can I blend it 50/50 with the EP80/90 oil
to give things a bit more protection?

3
Think of me on March 24th... and if any of you get Classic Car (very popular
british magazine called thoroughbred and classic car till recently) there is
a small blurb with photo of the humber on page 16 of the January issue
complete with a quote they have fabricated out of thin air!

taaaa guys. The car is going great, though moving to larger profile tyres
(so I won't blow it up) and carrying 250 lb of co-driver has knocked the
performance a little... but cornering beautifully and providing plenty of
fun

Greg Locke

Humber 90 classic racer
various Humber Sceptres (63-67)
Commer Bluebird Highwayman
recently acquired Singer Vogue ex racer which kindly donated a nice set of
Ward alloy wheels and a non-split gearstick boot!