Re: [Re: Crank]

To: Thomas Wiencek <wiencek@anl.gov>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Crank]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 1 Mar 2002 21:02:46 EST
As a P.S. to my prior message, I have had finger nails ripped off by the crank
handle when the engines backfired and spun in reverse!  It hurts like hell,
but is nowhere near as bad as getting your arm broken.

Jan Eyerman

Thomas Wiencek <wiencek@anl.gov> wrote:
One more safety item.  Always crank with an open hand (palm up).  If the car
back fires you can break your wrist!!!

On 2/28/02, Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> wrote:
At 09:00 AM 2/28/02 -0800, Lloyd Elliott wrote:
>Can you really start an Alpine with a crank?  The owners manual refers to
>doing so, but does not give a procedure.  Might be nice if the battery is
>discharged.  How do you do it?

It will not work with a discharged battery if the car has an alternator, as
some current is required to "flash the field".

To start:

--  set handbrake (vital!)
--  put car in neutral (vital!)
--  pull choke out as needed by ambient temperature and conditions
--  turn ignition key to "on"
--  insert crank
--  turn crank  (be cautious -- when the engine catches, it will kick the
crank out of the bolt)
--  drive off or whatever

Yes, I have done this on my Series V a number of times, just to prove to
others that a road car marketed in 1967 still came with a hand crank.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!