Re: Alpine transmission questions

To: lloydel@uclink4.berkeley.edu, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alpine transmission questions
From: MrZAG57@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:21:14 EST
In a message dated 12/31/2001 1:32:47 PM, lloydel@uclink4.berkeley.edu writes:

<< I am the new owner of a series one Alpine. On my car the clutch is shot
and the transmission is quite "growly" in first gear.   It would seem to make
sense to replace both at the same time.  Does anyone know where I can get a
later full-syncho transmission?

My present gear box has the overdrive but it doesn't work (the mechanic
says it would need extensive rewiring).  Should I give up on the
overdrive?  One well known restorer has offered to trade me straight up a
reconditioned series 1/2 transmission for mine with the overdrive.  Does
that sound  reasonable?

Further info:  This Alpine has a later 1725 cc engine.  From the numbers it
seems it is from a 1969 Rapier GT.  It has only one (Weber)
carburetor.  How does this engine differ those in the later Alpines?>>

1.) You can find the later transmissions but anything you find should be gone
through.
2.) Ask the restorer what he would charge to 'Mate' your overdrive to his
reconditioned box. ( Remember your already looking for a box.) AND Rebuild
your overdrive. If he is a 'Well Known' restorer he can sort the wiring
issues out. The most common 'hard to find' part is the switch. Others have
solved this, you can too.
3.) This should be number 1, look at the side of the transmission case that
is in the car. There will be a date ( Upsidedown if I remember correctly,
Ian?) which will tell you the date that the casing was cast. This is NOT the
date the transmission was made BUT is somewhat of a guide as to when the
whole thing came together. The reason for doing this is to KNOW what you got.
With the engine change, it maybe that the transmission was changed also.

My 2p

ZAG