Sunbeamland (no Alpine content)

To: "Alpine List (E-mail)" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sunbeamland (no Alpine content)
From: Russell Maddock <russell@pbirwin.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:15:07 +1000
This might interest those of you with an interest in Sunbeam extending
beyond Alpines.

Sunbeamland was the name of the factory where Sunbeam motorcycles were built
up until just before the war, and was sort of the jewel in the crown of the
John Marston empire which spawned Sunbeam cars. If you would like to see the
factory there are photos on my site. Visit www.sunbeam.org.au/factories/
Further information can be found at this site-
http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/buildings.html

The building has been purchased by property developers and is in danger of
being torn down.

This would be very sad for Sunbeam enthusiasts. To me it's more than just a
factory - it's also a monument to the days when British cars and bikes were
world leaders.

An application has been made to have the building heritage listed. Somehow I
doubt that the public servants processing the application will see the worth
of an old Victorian industrial building.

So if you feel that it should be saved, I'm sure your words of support would
go a long way to seeing Sunbeamland preserved. The contact details are
listed below.

Russ Maddock