Re: brake lights

To: bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake lights
From: "" <davidkellogg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:42:17
Hello Bill:

  Your idea for increased visibility is well founded, I think.

  You might want to investigate the temperature at which the halogen bulb
operates, because they can run quite hot.  If that's true of the bulb you
have in mind, you may not fry (flambe) your car's wiring, but the Rootes
lenses were made of thermosetting plastic, I believe, which means they can
melt again.

  The idea of inching through a traffic jam while leaving a trail of molten
plastic ooze is not appealing.  The thought of claening it of your new paint
job sounds worse still.  And when the lens is melted through, those brake
lights will be quite bright indeed --positively blinding, which is *not* the
purpose of the exercise, as I understand your intent.

  My tuppence.  Let us know what you discover, please?

  Cheers and Good Luck, David Kellogg