RE: 5-Speed Conversions

To: Thomas Wiencek <wiencek@anl.gov>,
Subject: RE: 5-Speed Conversions
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:47:11 -0700
Tom,

The Toyota transmision is rather wide ratio isnt it?
Even the sport models seem uselessly wide.

The Ranger 5 speed is or at least was the non world class T-5, which
along with the world class t-5 used in the mustang 3 and 4, is bigger
and longer yet.

I suspect the same of the S-10.

Many datsun's that I have seen use an integral bell housing to the
tranny, so that pretty much kills the conversion there.

Heres an idea for you though...

The german equivilant of the Pinto 4 speed used in the mercury capri,
evolved into a hodge-podge 5 speed by adding on an extra gear on the back.
These were known as the Type 9 gear box, and were used on many european
fords including the first Merkur XR4Ti, until the t-5 became available.
This is a more concise gearbox, with closer ratios.

Ive been looking for one of these for some time for my brothers capri,
but granted not very hard.  I supect getting one from england would be
somewhat easier allbeit more expensive due to shipping.

Jarrid Gross

I have been seriously looking into possible 5-speed conversions for my
Alpine.  I know about the kit from
New Zealand that uses the Toyota transmission.  My questions are -
Why the Toyota trans?  It is quite wide and the shifter comes out farther
back so you have to modify the trans >tunnel.  Are these the most commmon
5-Speed in NZ and Australia?
Has anyone tried anything else?  How about the Ford Ranger 5-speed, the
Chevy S-10 trans, A Datsun trans, Ford Mustang trans, or ???
If anyone has any make/model of 5-speed available for measurement (distance
from tip of input shaft to front of trans housing, distance from front of
trans housing to gear shifter,  width and total length) I would appreciate
if  you would measure it.  I will publish all the information in a feature
of the month.
Tom
<<