brake pads

To: "Alpine List" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake pads
From: "Russell & Neola" <rmaddock@petrie.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 08:26:40 +1000
Since I got my Alpine back on the road I've been having problems with it
pulling left under braking. I thought I had fixed it only to have it start
up again. It only seems to be happening when the brakes are hot ie after
I've been driving for a while.

I pulled out the brake pads to inspect them. When I pulled out the pads on
the right hand side, there was a lot of brake dust caught between the outer
pad and the disc. The outer pad seems to be badly marked up in one corner. I
don't think it could be caused by a problem with the disc because I would
think this would cause the scratches to be in an even arc across the pad.

The scratches are in one corner only and are in circles and spirals as
though someone was using coarse sandpaper in a circular motion.

Any thoughts on what is happening? I've been wondering if there is something
wrong with the friction material and it's breaking up.

Russ