Electrical question...

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electrical question...
From: "Ian Spencer" <SpenceIC@Healthall.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:40:13 -0500
Everyone,
Jan and I just finished up the restoration on Rob Wilson's Commodore Blue
Series V Alpine. His father Sandy came to pick the car up during the Invasion
for Rob while he was away on his honeymoon. Sandy has been driving the car
since the Invasion...and is looking for little things that need fixed by us
before Rob takes delivery of the car in July. Sandy has reported to me with a
small list (about 15 items) of little things that need completed. Most of them
are little fixes, like a clip that holds the door rubber trim fell off and
stuff like that. One thing, however, has me a little stumped and since I don't
have the car here to look at, I thought I would turn to the list for help.
Maybe one of you chaps has run into this before and can help me reduce the the
amount of troubleshooting I need to do once I do get the car back.

The problem is this: All electrical devices appear to function when running and
driving the car during the day time. Once the sun goes down and the lights are
turned on, the tach drops out. Now, if I understand the problem from Sandy
correctly... this only occours when the panel lights are on. If the panel
lights are turned off while the head lights are on, the problem goes away. I
also believe the amp guage and tach aren't lighting up. Either the bulbs are
bad, or I forgot to connect the ground harness up to those two guages. Anyhoo,
have any of you ever had similar problem to this?  If so... what's the fix.
Thanks - Ian