Re: [Overdrive Gearboxes]

To: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>, "List Alpine" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Overdrive Gearboxes]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 25 May 2001 11:49:33 EDT
John,

It sounds like a box from the Arrow/Hunter series of cars. None were sold here
with overdrive but several models (including the fastback Sunbeam Rapier) were
sold in England with an overdrive.

One other possibility, the weird ratios indicate that it might be an Iranian
Paykan-some of the engines came into the US a few years ago and it is possible
that a few transmissions did also.

Jan Eyerman
1959 Hillman Minx Series III
1973 Hillman Avenger (ex Plymouth Cricket)

John Slade <edalsj@igs.net> wrote:
I have recently obtained a Rootes overdrive gearbox whose origins I
can't identify. It is a later, full synchro box, with a casting number
71981060 (my late Alpine boxes all have the same number without the 7).
It has a fine spline on the input shaft, as compared to the coarse
spline on my Alpine boxes. The adapter (part # 1981083) for the D-type
overdrive is 3.75" long, with mounts, facing downward, cast into the
adapter about half way back. There are horizontal ribs which would
preclude a standard Alpine rear mount from being fitted. The gear ratios
(shown approximately) are weird...1st 4.15; 2nd 2.3; 3rd 1.5; 4th 1;
Reverse 3.75.

I would appreciate any info about this set-up. Thanks in advance.

John Slade