Solex Carb / Ignition problem?

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Solex Carb / Ignition problem?
From: SunbeamAlpine64@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 04:25:42 EDT
Last weekend the car was pretty hot (not sure how hot as the gauge isnt
working due to broken voltage stabilizer) and the revs just fell away and the
engine stopped. And wouldnt restart - after leaving it to cool a little I got
a push start and after a bit of spluttering it started.

A couple of weeks ago I worked on the Solex carb (Series 4) and found a loose
throttle linkabe which I secured and reset the mixture using a Colortune set
and also had the idle speed about right at around 850rpm. The problems seems
to occur when the car is hot /and or when I take my foot of the pedal (eg
when braking at a junction) and the revs just fall away. At junctions I have
to keep tapping the pedal to keep the revs from fading below the idle speed.
Theres also a flat spot just above idle. One other thing - the air correction
jet in the primary throttle tube is missing - it looks like its been
overtightened and broken off (it wasn't me - honest) Could this be the main
factor ? Anything else ?

As usual any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers
Mark
Series 4 GT OD