Re: Re: "Hillman - " hillclimb

To: "Adrian Higgs" <adrian_higgs@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: "Hillman - " hillclimb
From: "Greg Locke" <glocke@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:36:13 +1200
Hi Adrian

You have pointed out the main difference between the mk 1 and 2 Superminx
and its NZ rebadged version "the Humber 90" There was actually some extra
chrome between the door handles where the paint changes colour. Almost all
Humber 90s had this 2 tone paint scheme, usually with white top half and
various shades of red, blue, green or grey bottom. The only other difference
was some extra vertical chrome bits on the grilles, and the humber badging
on the bodywork and steering wheel. All Humber 90s were column change. There
were also superminx versions sold here, though in less numbers.

Yes, the suspension works suprisingly well considering it is quite standard.
The Humber 90s had heavier suspension as standard (it think this was the
case with all mark1/2 superminxes exported to NZ, Africa, or Australia). One
coil has been removed from the front springs, and the rears have been
recambered to lower it. There is polyurethane bushings on the standard front
anti-roll bar, and the rear spring shackles. The A arm bushings are all
original and 38 years old. The shocks are very old koni adjustables.
Reducing the car weight has helped too. Many people are suprised at how well
the car handles including me.

I need to modify the front z-brackets to get more negative camber into the
front wheels, as it understeers slightly at present. Anyone got any ideas on
that?

Greg