Re: [Re: re:"alpino"]

To: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>, "Shane Sherman"
Subject: Re: [Re: re:"alpino"]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 3 May 2001 13:38:22 EDT
You Alpine people should consider yourselves lucky in this regard-often us
Hillman owners land (pun intended) in the same class as an Amphibicar at car
shows.... needless to say the Amphibs always win-unless of course there are
Mini-Coopers there or something even more off-beat, like a bright yellow 3
wheel Bond mini-car.  Even tho the Amphibs are German made, they have a
Triumph engine so they are allowed into British car meets.

Oh well.

Jan Eyerman
1959 Hillman Minx Series III
1973 Plymouth Cricket (soon to be a Sunbeam Avenger-I have the nameplates)

"Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com> wrote:
There actually was a car that would do this, it was called, "the Amphicar".
To the unenlightened, the cars appear similar. There are few amphicars
today. The idea was so improbable they didn't sell very well, and thus there
were not many made. They were poor on land and equally poor in the water.
Then, they rusted like there was no tomorrow. I imagine there are countless
amphicars below the surface of many a lake in the USA where the owner didn't
realize it was rusted though enough to sink it will impressing his
girlfriend! Unlike the Amtrac that Marines forget to put the drain plug in
after a excursion, at least these were all convertibles allowing the
occupants to escape if it did sink. Lou