Re: [Re: Hard Steering]

To: "Mary Cornett" <tc123@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Hard Steering]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 25 Apr 2001 14:20:53 EDT
If you have a Series I Alpine..... check the following spots:

1. Tie rod ends-there should be grease fittings on all of them (although they
may have been replaced with later "no grease" fittings)

2. Upper ball joints

3. Lower ball joint/kingpin (Hillmans had Kingpins, I don't remember if early
Alpines did).  If you have kingpins, there is indeed a grease fitting hidden
down there!!!

4. Idler (on passenger's side opposite steering box-grease from above)

5. Check steering box for lubricant (gear oil)

6. Cross tube- behind engine, some have grease fittings, others don't.

I made a "no grease fitting" grease adapter by filing/grinding down a
basketball inflator until it was a sharp needle.  I then attached it via a
short piece of fuel line to my grease gun.  I puncture the "boot" with it and
pump graese into the boot until it is swollen back to normal size.

Jan

"Mary Cornett" <tc123@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Do you have the original size tires? If so go through your steering
mechanizm and check everything. Start with lubricant in your steering box
and work your way down to the steering linkage. Good luck TC