Re: Electrical Questions

To: Robert Wiseman <robman@telocity.com>, alpines
Subject: Re: Electrical Questions
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:13:19 -0700
Rob:

The main purpose of an Alpine relay is to handle heavy current loads
that might otherwise damage switches or contacts.
They do this by using a smaller current through an electro-magnet to
open and close an armature and heavier duty set of points (that carries
the current to blow both horns or operate your over-drive solenoid) Your
starter solenoid is also a really heavy duty relay.

You can test them by connecting the battery to the two connections that
operate the coil  and a test lamp to the connections that go to the
points. I believe W1 and W2 are the connections to the coil and C1 and
C2 are the connections to the points, but you can check this by removing
the cover (this will also allow you to see any corrosion and clean the
points if necessary).

Ron Tebo