Re: Lucas

To: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Lucas
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:48:25 -0500
At 09:56 PM 2/17/2001 EST, Jan Eyerman wrote:
>I could write VOLUMES on Lucas.  The word "Bad" just isn't bad enough to
>describe the products of Joseph Lucas Ltd.  Back in 1971-72 I worked for
>General Motors and owned a Sunbeam Arrow.  When electrical components
failed I
>had access to Delco Remy engineering and I sent them the bad parts to
analyze.
> Back then engineers rarely used profanity to describe things but they used a
>few choice words to describe the quality of the stuff I sent them.  Basically
>the description was "poor materials, worse engineering".  They said any
>American manufacturer that produced products like those would be out of
>business pretty quick.

They were joshing you, or else playing with some most sour grapes.  Lucas
gear is far more reliable, all in all, than Bosch or Marelli and is more
open to owner maintenance than is Delco-Remy junk.  (The ONLY alternators
which have ever suffered Terminal Failure in my experience are Delco-Remy
units, and that has been three of them.)

Lucas gear needs maintenance.  Delco-Remy stuff runs to 50,000 road miles
and dies.  You pays your money and you takes your choice.  Me?  I'd use
Lucas gear in my Audi if I could fit it, and will do so, the next time it
gives me a problem.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!