Re: Shocks vs. Dampeners

To: "Terry McKitrick" <terrymckitrick@hotmail.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shocks vs. Dampeners
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:40:52 -0800
Five ways to do it:
1. cut the trunk and shock mounts from a series 3,4,5 and weld them into a
series I or II. a series 3,4,5 axle.
2. use the 3,4,5 trunk/shock mounts and weld the shock mounts onto your
axle.
3. Make two adapters that will bolt inside the car right above where the
shocks would mount. They will be shaped like an "H" out of bar stock. The
center portion should be arched so that it is not perfectly flat, and it
should have a hole in it. This is where the shock will connect. Each end of
the spider should have a hole in it to bolt to the car. Is has to be large
enough to resist the sheet metal flexing of the rear shelf that will be
caused by the new shock. Use a series 3,4,5 axle.
4. make the adapters and weld on shock mounts from a series 3,4,5 axle.
5. buy a series 3,4,5

Telescoping shocks offer the benefit of tuning the suspension rather than 2
positions of the Armstrong lever arms, which either come in Stock or race
stiff.
The armstrongs are rebuildable and I have taken them off of cars and they
are still good, after 30? some years.
spax and Konis are $250-$400 a set for the rear, while armstrongs are $150
new (I think that is what  buddy of mine paid, since it was only few dollars
more than the rebuild kit.)
I have replaced an entire trunk and rear axle.
Steve Alcala has made the brackets and I think he tied them to his rear
mounts for his roll bar. It all seemed to work since his car was fairly
quick on a autocross circuit and road course.
Hope that helps. Lou