Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

To: yamamota@sprint.ca, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Should I or shouldn't I?
From: GSTROM99@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:12:18 EST
In a message dated 11/12/00 9:46:03 PM Central Standard Time,
yamamota@sprint.ca writes:

> Can someone who hasn't done this sort of
>  work before even hope to get a presentable car for anything approaching a
>  reasonable amount of money?

Well, I've been doing this kind of "hobby" for 20 years.  The Series II that
I bought and redid was probably "beyond repair" by most accounts.  It needed
floors, 3 out of 4 frame corners, ALL THREE layers of the rocker assy, fender
bottoms, eyebrows and full quarter panels...  It obviously was a lot of work,
even for me.  But it turned out pretty good.

I can't say DON'T do it, but be prepared for a ton of welding work.  If you
have NO mig welding experience now, you certainly will after you're done (be
prepared to borrow that welder for a year).  Body parts are readily available
but the frame parts, you'll have to learn how to fabricate.  Experience is
gained by doing the work.  Since you already have the car and know what you
have, I'd have to say dive in and do it.  Just take your time.

Gary Strom