Re: Re: Alpine Gear Shifter Boot

To: CMeinel464@aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Alpine Gear Shifter Boot
From: jeyerman@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 21:38:32 -0400
My Hillman has little metal clips that clip onto the metal and give the rubber
boot something to hang onto.  I wonder if the Alpine had these also and they
have rusted away (or come off inside the rim of the old boot).

Jan

CMeinel464@aol.com wrote:
> Tom,

The small rubber donut in the parts book is actually a rubber boot that fits
around the bottom of the shift lever on the transmission.  The stock Alpine
boot has a ridge on the bottom, three ribs and a small round bubble on the
top. No, the Alpines did not have a trim ring except for the Alpine IV with
the automatic trans.
For some reason they never seem to hold to the sheet metal by the slice which
is on the bottom of the boot. I tuck the lower ridge under the carpet and it
seems to work well.
Curt
Classic Sunbeam