Re: very cool site...

To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: very cool site...
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlmcle@saturnnet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:09:12 -0700
Interesting site.  Most traffic cops (myself included) will, when you say
"see you in court" respond with "Great!! I need the overtime"!

Here are a few pointers:
1. Most cops are human beings. If you are courteous and polite with them
they will most likely be the same with you. Exception would be Highway
Patrol. All they do is chase tail lights. All they do is write tickets,
investigate accidents and arrest drunk drivers. You CANNOT beat an honest
trooper in court. They know too much about what they do!

2. DO NOT ARGUE! (same scene, take two) Be courteous and polite. If you can
talk to the officer/deputy/trooper and turn the traffic stop into an
educational experience (or what the cop perceives as an educational
experience) you probably won't get the ticket. Many cops either write or
lecture. Few do both.

3. In Nevada I have the discretion of (1) a verbal warning, (2) a written
warning, (3) a citation or (4) taking you to jail. All traffic offenses here
are at least misdemeanors, thus arrest is an option. My actions 90% of the
time are based upon the response I get from the driver when I make contact
with him.

4. If you decide to fight your ticket in court.....  you have a 50/50 chance
of winning by default. In other words, if the cop who cited you doesn't
show, you win! So, if he's in training, vacation, or another court; you win.

If he shows up, there's a 50/50 chance the DA or city attorney will reduce
the offense in exchange for your plea. If you go into court, there's a 50/50
chance the Judge will dismiss if you can convince him your a decent guy and
honestly didn't realize you were speeding.

Finally, there is one other option: one other way to beat the cop... DON'T
SPEED!!

As for me, they took away my quota! They let me write as many as I want to
now!!!

Carl