humber takes the day

To: "Hillman list" <hillman@can-inc.com>,
Subject: humber takes the day
From: "Greg Locke" <glocke@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:36:40 -0700
Hi all

Well, the Humber 90 (alias mark 2 superminx) has just successfully competed
in its first real event, a bent sprint/autocross run this the weekend. It
was quite a tight twisty course, about 2.5 km long around an abandoned
industrial site, mostly 2nd gear with a brief excursion to 3rd, and a couple
of snatches of first.

I arrived there and thought I might as well go home, most of the cars were
proper race cars, or 4 weel drive turbos of some sort.. subarus, corolla
GTs, MR2s, RX7s etc. No pre 70 cars except for 3 ford anglias and an Austin
A40 farina. Great, I thought, some competition for me!... but apon closer
inspection I found 2 of the anglias and the Austin all running complete late
model japanese running gear, twin cams, four wheel disks, LSD etc. The
remaining anglia was equipped with a 1600 ford pushrod, webered and about
130hp. I would have been the only car with less than 120hp (the humber may
just scrape 100 with its mildly worked 1725cc alpine motor), and the only
pre 1980 car still running standard running gear (complete with whiny diff,
which according to recent info I have now more confidence to rectify (thanks
list) and gearbox with worn synchros and tendency to jump out of first
violently if not held by in hand).

To my cars credit, it was on cheap street legal race tyres (what most other
cars were running), the suspension is standard but lowered about 2 inches
with nolethane bushings and 30 year old Koni shock absorbers, and the body
is lightened from its initial 2350lb to around 2100lb. All the other rootes
traits were present.. i.e axle tramp, standard slidy seat, enormous steering
wheel and standard brakes (just ohauled) that like to fade when pushed hard.
I had already noticed people sniggering at the car and I really thought I
was going to embarrass myself and the humber marque incredibly.

Pactice came and I just gave it my best. The course was a bit damp, and I
had oodles of understeer. But as soon as I backed off she'd grip again and
come around nicely. The brake pedal went very soft towards the end, however
she basically felt real good. Check the times and whoa! I was about 2/3 the
way down the field. Not only was I not last, but I was just on the edge of
the main group. I couldn't believe it.

I put in another litre of oil as the pressure was looking a bit low after
the practice (cam bearings apparently, taa Jim) pump the brake pedal back up
and I was ready for first main run. Again it felt good, less understeer as
the track had dried plenty, but now getting lots of nice axle tramp out of
the tight bends. Probably not really worth going to first gear. On the short
straights though, 2nd gear was slightly too low, but I just kept my foot in
as not worth grabbing 3rd. I generally don't rev it past 6000rpm, as with
the standard cam it is just as quick to go up a gear, and I don't trust my
backyard engine rebuilding that much, although it is balanced. But there
would be 3 times on the course that I pulled a good 6500 with no signs of
distress, (I can't tell for sure, the smiths rev counter gives up at 6000,
and even starts to go backwards sometimes). The now impressed onlookers
reckoned it was doing more like 7000 and sounded fine. They all wanted a
humber like mine.

The brake pedal lasted to the end this time, but the oil light was now on at
idle and the engine temp was also getting pretty high for 2 minutes hard
driving. I was feeling pretty mean to the car really, 35 years of sedate
tootling around then this. Check the times again, and 4th in my class
(1600cc to 2000cc) Great!

The 2nd run felt even better, just concentrating on keeping my speed up
through the corners, but my 3rd run was aborted as the car previous blew its
engine and spewed oil over the track. The run was feeling even better again.

Final placing, 3rd in class (beaten only by a lotus 7 replica with 2 litre
twin cam engine, and a toyota levin, again with a 2 litre twin cam engine).
Overall placing 24th out of 50 competitors, whipping all 3 "anglias", and
only 2 seconds slower than the twin cam powered A40. Also beat the RX7s some
of the MR2s, and many cars that I should really have had no chance against.
It was the lowest powered, oldest speced car there and should have come
last. I still can't beleive it, and nor did many of the people who asked me
my final time, who I suspect were just trying to be nice until they realized
I had beaten them.

Secrets of the Humber... reasonable yet predictable handling with plenty of
low rev power and gearing that suited the course, i.e. 2nd gear could be
used out of corners and held all the way to the next, thus concentration can
be directed on keeping speed up through the corners. The car is basically a
good initial design (for 1960!), with maybe the exception of the live rear
axle. Many small improvements, like weight removal, bushings etc, have
transformed it. Many comments from the spectators centered around how smooth
it looked cornering, how quick it was through the bends, and how stable it
looked, even though it was obviously underpowered on the straights.

This was its first real event, I'll check all the bolts and stuff again. I
think the brakes will be fine now, though I may look at finding a way to get
some more air to them to keep them cool. The oil pressure really needs to be
dealt with, though I don't really want to pull the engine out at present.
Improvements... a limit slip diff would be nice (any suggestions anyone?),
and some better axle location, also some more neg camber on the front wheels
to reduce understeer. Also get rid of another 100lb, add a race seat, and of
course another 40 horsepower. But for now I am most happy.

Greg