Re: Lifters for Series V Alpine, 2/3 the height of stock, less weight bu

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lifters for Series V Alpine, 2/3 the height of stock, less weight but are...
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 23:56:59 EDT
Steve,
    I intend to cut down my lifters like that.  The only problem is they
might eventually wear a ridge on the lifter bore, and they will never rise
above the top of the bore which makes them harder to get back out!
    Smokey Yunick of NASCAR engine building fame did a dyno study and he says
in his book POWER SECRETS, aluminum or lightweight parts on the VALVE SIDE of
the rocker arms do not gain you a thing and you lose dependability.  He said
lighter parts on the LIFTER SIDE of the rocker arm will produce horsepower
gain.  He didn't explain why, but he does not use aluminum retainers or
keepers...and his engines win.
Jim Leach   PTC  Seattle