Re: steering cross tube

To: "robert nanzig" <rnanzig@webtv.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering cross tube
From: "Russ Eshelman" <RussE@firstva.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 10:19:42 -0400
I had to replace mine last fall, S/S sell the replacement  bushings. What
ever method  you use to  take it off with be careful not to damage the top
washer and the stud because you will need to reuse them and the nut too
after you put the new bushings in the tube, there are two different type
tubes, one with a sleeve, and one without, the bushing will fit both, but if
you have a sleeved one the sleeve will need to be removed first, you should
be able to do this at home.  I rebuilt a spare one first and after spending
a half a day trying to remove the tube I drove the car to a garage with a
lift, used a air hammer on the tube, two or three pops and it was out with
no damage, dropped the rebuilt one in, total time in the garage was about 15
min. and $15.00.  Good luck,  Russ