Re: [6pack] MUFFLER REPLACEMENT

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [6pack] MUFFLER REPLACEMENT
From: Joe Alexander <n197tr4@cs.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 08:16:37 -0500
Cc: "Zimmerman, John" <john.zimmerman@dpg.com>, "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Yes! What Bob said!

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 21, 2013, at 8:08 AM, "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The answer to your question falls into the "personal preference" category.
For most folks, the best approach is to buy a complete system and bolt it in.
If you're not up for doing the job, a good muffler shop or any competent
mechanic can do the job in an hour or two.

> Now, as for the sound, the stock system is fairly quiet. If you go
aftermarket, there is a lot of truth to the "too loud" or "it drones"
reports... I ran a Monza setup for years. It was def too loud. I had to wear
earplugs on long trips. Even so, my ears would ring for days after a road
trip.

> If you read this list often or you've been on it very long, you'll know that
I am an advocate for custom exhausts. A custom muffler shop can fab a complete
system from mild steel or stainless and with a simple "turbo style" muffler,
it will be quiet when you're cruising but can "bark just right" when you tromp
on it. And the installed cost will be cheaper than buying a full system from
one of the British Car suppliers and paying someone the labor to install it.
My personal preferences are 2.5" I.D. pipe from the collector back, but even
2.25" is fine except when you're going for max power.

> Call around and find a custom muffler shop and have them quote you the job.
You'll be surprised. Really.

> My one criticism of custom jobs is that they tend to add too many bends to
get around things, you're installation may be different. But other than that,
I'm totally sold on the idea. I've been using nothing but custom for about 15
years.

> Oh - if you can, get the shop to install bolt-up flanges as opposed to slip
fit connections for the pipes. This way, you can unbolt sections to do stuff
like remove the diff. of get better access to the tranny. It suX big-time when
you have to remove the entire exhaust system to get at things. And whatever
you do, don't weld the pipes together!! If you do, you'll be sorry. Trust me
on that.