Re: [6pack] steering wheel

To: oliver <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, '6 Pack list' <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] steering wheel
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:25:05 -0700
        Oliver:

        Get some flexible body filler from your auto parts store, used for
repairing
plastic bumpers on cars.

        If the grip is loose on the rim, you can punch holes in the loose
rubber on
the back of the wheel, and squirt weather stripping adhesive into the holes to
glue the grip to the steel ring. Use lots of pressure to force the glue around
inside the rubber.
        Use a sharp blade and enlarge the crack by cutting a groove in the
rubber
about 3/16 wide or so. Fill the groove with the body filler, following the
contours of the wheel as closely as possible. Allow it to set, and then sand
the repair to the final shape, smoothing it into the wheel surface.
        Lastly, mask the wheel spokes and give it several coats of flexible
vinyl
dash paint (also from the auto parts store), allowing the wheel to dry between
coats.
        Your wheel will look and feel literally brand new, like a buttery
leather.
Very satisfying restoration and the dash paint is very durable with just the
right sheen.

        Much better than paying $330 for a NOS wheel, which is what the last
one went
for on eBay.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette